Let's create a team to get this launched - we will need someone to take technical ownership of membership integration including Open LDAP and CiviCRM.
We currently have an instance Zimbra email system setup on an evaluation server. Email is the foundation of internet systems, Zimbra offers us private secure mail, the ability to keep all information on our own servers, address book, calendaring with busy calendaring, tasks, document sharing and other collaborative features. Zimbra's ability to create distribution lists and advanced filtering will extend workgroups ability to communicate locally and globally.
The roll-out of Zimbra will be the beginning of our enterprise system at occupy.net - the ability to manage memberships, groups, logins, and permissioning across different systems. We also have an instance of CiviCRM running on CivicAction's servers. We will want to move that on to our servers since it will contain our membership data.
The next steps to implement Zimbra: (for workgroup members within and across occupations)
- Finish server set-up: Increase server size to handle estimated usage: Current nycga site has 5,000 + members, plus workgroup members from other Occupations (my guess is 10,000 in the next month or 2)
- Define if we will be using the Zimbra based Open LDAP or other instance of LDAP
- Import member list from nycga buddypress site - define best way to include workgroup filtering
- Create access control list (ALC)
- Define how we intend to define other occupation urls and email addresses. - xxxx.mail.occupy.net ?
- Release to workgroups with a training program
Additional begin network integration:
- Move CiviCRM to occupy.net server and integrate with Open LDAP (note: CiviCRM will be used to manage our general membership list (email subscribers, donors, general public).
- Explore connecting the nycga site to LDAP
- Connect the Wiki to LDAP
- Plan on integrating the FGA site into CiviCRM
- Plan on integrating PermaShares into LDAP
- Plan on integrating Ushahidi
Define the development environment:
- Establish the effective use of development, staging and production servers.
- Define equipment we will have to purchase/obtain. (servers, firewalls, etc.)
- Establish multi-national mirroring.Cateogry:Alpha