The NYCGA has inherited a relationship with the Occupy Wall Street mega-brand, and has an obligation to use that relationship to fulfill it's desires as defined in the Occupation of New York City.
TechOps believes we can create a system that allows people within the movement to transparently receive money. This is important because people around the world are giving to the NYCGA because of the Occupation of Liberty Square. People are giving to this body in a number of ways:
- Online: primarily through NYCGA.net, and soon OccupyWallStreet.net
- Cash: people are handed cash in the park/physical environment
- Development: high net worth individuals arrange large contributions
- Stuff: individuals and organizations donate materials and services.
We believe that by streamlining online giving, we can make our whole accounting system more transparent and efficient. This is how it could work:
- People come to OccupyWallStreet.net (OWS.net) and click 'Contribute'. They can contribute time through a volunteer form, materials by dropping them off at specified location and money by donating to the NYCGA.
- People can choose where they'd like their donations to go: GA, Spokes, Groups, Projects.
- TechOps site admins record these choices through the CiviCRM system and sends earning reports to Accounting.
- Accounting collects funds and moves them to debit cards as directed by the reports.
Accounting is responsible for:
- records all the funding directives and project authorisations of the GA.
- channel bank account funds as directed by public reports
- manage the finance point people's debit cards
- publish and presenting reports to the public
- record feedback concerning how accounting could do a better job.
Potential Future Features:
- the public could view debit card transactions at audit.occupywallstreet.net.
TechOps is responsible for:
- providing fundraising pages through contribute.occupywallstreet.net (CiviCRM) that direct funds to the NYCGA's fiscally sponsored bank account.
- taging donations with their intended source (if any intention was indicated) and sending that info to Accounting.
- display CiviReports to the publish.
 How fundraising pages could work
We can have three types of fundraisers:
- threshold: pledge to donate when a certain fundraising goal is met.
- donations: one time
- membership: recurring donation
To create a fundraising request:
- A working group consents to support a project, as defined by the Project Project.
- The GA is given a daily report of authorized projects and people are given an opportunity to block or issue funds to the project.
- Authorized projects are published on OccupyWallStreet.net and people are invited to contribute.
- The finance point people issue funds directly to their debit card.
- All debit card transactions are recorded and published online.
To create a working group:
- Group are defined by the GA.
- The GA authorizes groups to raise money.
- Groups publish funding requests on OccupyWallStreet.net
- Group finance point people people receive funds in their debit account.
- All transactions are recorded and published online.